This intersection and block is one of the sunniest in the fall and winter, despite the presence of several tall buildings nearby. The Canoxy Tower "leans" into the picture from the left, an unfortunate but unavoidable result of the wide angle lens on our cameras. Just behind the building with the stylized "WU" on its face (the Western Union Building), you can catch a glimpse of the stainless steel Nova Tower. It is named after its former main tenant, the Nova Corporation, which was taken over by another gas pipeline company in a merger-hectic 1999.|
The interesting structure in the right middleground is the Barron Building. As soon as it was built in the late 1940's, it became the office location for Mobil, Shell and Sun Oil and led to Calgary becoming the provincial capital of the oil industry. The developer, J.B. Barron, also added a movie theatre on the ground level to satisfy his interest in films and theatre. The marquee is still visible in the photo, although the Uptown, as it was called, is no longer in use.